- 1¾ cups white sugar*
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup butter
- 3 Tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ cup peanut butter (crunchy or creamy)
- 3½ cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add ½ to ¾ cups of coconut if desired
- Set out all the measured ingredients and wax paper set out before starting.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa.
- Bring to a rolling boil and continue boiling and stirring for 1½ minutes.**
- Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter until it melts, then add vanilla.
- Add in the oats.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let cool until hardened.
*Consider cutting down on the recommended sugar to make these treats even healthier.
**Trick: Start timing the 1 ½ minutes once the mixture reaches a full rolling boil. If you don’t boil the mixture enough, the cookies won’t set; if you boil it too much, it becomes dry and crumbly.