Its historic name has been the “sport for a lifetime”. But is this really true? According to world–renowned scientists from a variety of disciplines, there is no doubt that tennis is one of the best sports for you to play.
Here are a few but key facts of the benefits of playing tennis:
1. People who participate in tennis 3 hours per week (at moderately vigorous intensity) cut their risk of death in half from any cause, according to physician Ralph Paffenbarger, who studied over 10,000 people over a period of 20 years.
2. Tennis players scored higher in vigor, optimism and self–esteem, while scoring lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension, than other athletes and non–athletes, according to Dr. Joan Finn and colleagues at Southern Connecticut State University.
3. Competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics, inline skating or cycling, according to studies on caloric expenditures.
4. Because tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves in the brain, thus promoting a lifetime of continuing cerebral development, reported scientists at the University of Illinois.
5. Tennis outperforms golf, inline skating and most other sports in developing positive personality characteristics, according to Dr. Jim Gavin, author of “The Exercise Habit”.
Tennis provides much more than health benefits, though. In fact, one of the greatest aspects of tennis is that playing it can be fun. True, it can be challenging, especially if you’re just learning, but is a sport in which lessons, practice and persistence pay off quickly. Tennis offers a great diversion from life’s stresses as well as a great opportunity to socialize, particularly if you join a local tennis league or club or frequent public courts. Tennis is stimulating, and, once you get the hang of it, extremely satisfying. It also makes for a great family activity.
Tennis is a wonderful sport for kids to learn because of all the physical, mental and emotional benefits mentioned above. It’s great for adults and seniors, too! The human system can be trained and improved at any stage of life.
Never has there been a sport other than tennis that has been commended from all disciplines as one that develops great benefits physically, mentally and emotionally.
Here’s the key… begin playing tennis now to get these lifetime benefits. Stop by our wonderful facility and inquire about all our fantastic tennis programs we have waiting for you!!! Our experienced staff can assist you, no matter what your level or age may be.